Capture One Pro 6 for half price €114,50!

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Some Samples

Robin Casady wrote:

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

BobYIL wrote:

-- hide signature --

The best "by far" to develop D800E NEFs... highly recommended to all D800E owners... it will show the real difference between D800E and D800.... or any other DSLR for that matter, especially if you print.

When I saw the comparison in the D800E review, I noted the difference.

-- hide signature --

Wait until you get "in to it"... you'll be amazed. The worst thing I find about reviews is that they tend to compare things "all been equal", but OTOH, nobody buys a camera to do this, everybody is trying to get the max. out of his/hers equipment, thus, comparisons should be made for the optimum result in each case...

That's the problem with the comparisons in the dpreview D800E review. They used the default settings for ACR and Capture One Pro 6. In this case, the C1P6 image looks much better than the ACR image.

So, I took the dpreivew NEF and brought it into Lightroom 4.1. I compared it with the full size JPEG from dpreview's C1P6 version and tweaked the NEF until I got as close to the C1P6 version as I could. It would be nice to see someone try getting the optimum out of C1P6 with the dpreview NEF.

I am sorry Robin I can't share such an image... pictures will soon be published on my site.

All I could do was compare with the C1P6 defaults. Here are those results at 200%. The NEF on the left is the one modified in Lightroom 4.1.

Notice however the difference in DR you get.... look inside the tree... it's not only the extension but mainly the "weight" of both HLs and LLs... doesn't it remind very good film behavior? This is all because of the ability of the program to take advange of the micro-contrast difference... in the mean time the linear part of the S-slope is ...even more linear! I wouldn't consider the resolution difference as being of importance, but the detail and its "real" presentation is because of DR ...wow! Wait till you get to know it better, try difficult high contrast scenes and expose for the HLs, then don't develop for shadow detail as you (possibly) do in LR (or ACR-same thing) but try to keep the weight of the shadows... detail will be there... you'll see..., same with HLs, they will be able to keep more "HL info" while withstand more contrast at the same time... if you print, it will be hard to tell from a very good film shot with a Hi-res lens on 4X5... we can all "play" Ansel now... It will even show the difference that a good monitor can support in DR (mine is a well calibrated EIZO 242)... to the EXTRA DR that a good paper will support if printed... But don't rush... try to master the program first and then choose what you consider a very good (and difficult) print... then you can go back to the program and master it completely... then you feel "in the top of the world" and you can "take" all that will come in the future! It feels like mastering knowledge...

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow