Owners - G1X Vs G12

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,584
Re: Owners - G1X Vs G12

mrsfixit wrote:

Before I get lambasted by the "but it's got a bigger sensor" crowd, I would just like to point out that the Panasonic 14-42 kit lens for it's m4/3's cameras has a minimum focusing distance of 11.81"- throughout it's entire zoom range.

However, it is a much bigger lens. On that smaller sensor.

So you have already left the portability advantage of the G1 X behind. And yes, I do have both.

Yes, you can get close up lenses for the G1X- but do you want to be fiddling with those out in the field?

It is a small flat filter that fits in your pocket and snaps on with a bayonet attachment within a second. Literally.

However, to get decent range with my GX1 or GF2, I need to "fiddle" with more than one lens. And they are ALL larger than the G1 X, including the kit lens.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I own neither the Panasonic nor the G1X. And I think the images from the G1X are excellent. Overall I think it's a good camera.

I have three dogs. I hardly ever take two of them out. For me, it tends to be the G1 X or my DSLR. The G1X also has a slightly better dynamic range, slightly better colour depth, and slightly larger sensor. In a smaller package.

Micro 4/3 does not offer a zoom lens quite like the Canon's in terms of sharpness, size, aperture range, and zoom range. The cost for that is macro performance, so it really depends how big an issue macro is for the individual.

Every camera is a mix of compromises. That extra close-up facility on the Lumix comes at the cost of lens size.

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow