Insurance Question

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
nycfonephreak Senior Member • Posts: 1,203
Re: Insurance Question

I have my gear (both photography and laptops/iPad) covered by State Farm - it's called an Inland Marine policy. You do not need to have your home or auto insurance (or any other insurance) with State Farm to get this policy. In fact, I have no other insurance from State Farm other than this Inland Marine policy.

IIRC, the policy covers pretty much all types of loss - damage, theft, loss. Although it will not cover something that breaks due to wear and tear or defect (iow, warranty iissues).

I've had he policy for about 8 years and never needed to file a claim (I take VERY good care of my stuff). But I had an accident earlier this year which trashed a T3i and 15-85mm lens that were both under a month old. The claim was processed with minimal pain on my part - all done by phone - and I got authorization to replace the equipment the same day I reported the damage. I had a new camera and lens the very next day and a check arrived in the mail a few days later. I can't say enough good things about how they handled this.

 nycfonephreak's gear list:nycfonephreak's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 IV DxO One Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow