An Alaska Cruise in (many) Photos

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Sinnettc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,511
Re: Tracy Arm Fjord

Yes, Star Princess, all 900 feet and 2600 passengers! We had an outside, unobstructed view, room. Nice to be able to peek outside and see what was going on. We were on deck 5 (Plaza) about as close to mid-ship as you can get on that deck. Worked out well as there's little movement, especially as compared to either end. Might have been interesting in big seas though, as we were the closest staterooms to the water (1 deck above the crew quarters I think).

For excursions we did the Duck in Ketchikan. That was a last minute thing as we'd been there before and weren't going to do an excursion. Not sure I'd do it again from a photo standpoint, but it was fun and my wife loves to do the Duck tours when we find them. If you've never been to Ketchikan, I highly recommend doing an excursion that goes to Totem Bight or Saxman so you can get the totem poles and the meeting houses.

In Juneau I did the Photo Safari, my wife shopped. I'll post pictures from that in a bit. Got close to some humpback whales and had a nice nature walk/discussion with photo tips at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. I'd to that one again.

Skagway was the White Pass & Yukon Railroad trip. There are several versions but we just did the one that goes to the top of the pass & back. They tried to say it was best to be at the front of the train (i think they want the weight forward) but I wanted to get shots of the entire train so we went to the last car, which becomes the first car after they switch then engines around at the top. Definitely fun and some great photo ops, but you better be quick!

In Victoria we did Buschart Gardens, which included fireworks. It's a 7pm arrival there so we didn't have much time/light for flowers but I got a few good ones, and the fireworks. We talked to some folks afterwards who had done the Buschart Gardens/Butterfly Garden trip and they didn't have much time at either. If you're there for fireworks, get your seat early, in the main viewing area. We were off to one side and I think we missed out on some of it.

-- hide signature --
 Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow