D800 battery life is shocking, is this faulty or something please help?

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Re: Unless it allows you to calibrate

That's a pretty reasonable approach. Did you check to see if your battery is on the recall list?

Sounds like one of the THREE processors involved in battery state determination are wonky. The battery cells themselves seem to be OK (I'm guessing that if you let the battery actually run down to where the camera won't function anymore you would get the kind of 'OK-but-not-stellar' battery performance typical of the D800.)

You have 1) the camera's voltage sensors that, among other things, displays time remaining and the 'health' of the battery 2) the chip in the battery that talks to the camera sensors and 3) the chip in the charger that talks to the battery and determines charge rate and extent.

Any of those can screw up (along with the battery itself).

So, it's a process of elimination since we don't get enough info from Nikon to actually troubleshoot the situation. If you have a voltmeter, you could measure the voltage at end of charge. That will tell you a limited amount but it's easy to do. I get 8.32 and 8.35 volts out of my two batteries after an overnight charge.

Which reminds me of another issue - LiOn batteries are typically NOT 100% charged the minute the little light stops blinking on the charger. It may take a hour or two more for those last little bit of electrons to get stuffed in. You HAVE been leaving the batteries in the charger for a while after the light goes out, yes?
--
RG
http://www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow