Is 24-70 II worth the price

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,547
Re: Is 24-70 II worth the price - a few thoughts

I've tried photographing (5D, 24-105 f4) rapidly moving grandchildren &, indoors especially, a problem, for me at least, is getting a fast enough shutter speed to freeze their movement. As far as freezing subject movement goes IS is of no help of course, so I wouldn’t worry about the lack of IS in the f2.8 lenses. However, the ability to use higher ISOs naturally enables higher shutter speeds to be used and the 5Diii will help not only with this but also with the other critical factor which is the speed & accuracy of focussing.

As you've been using an f1.4 lens, presumably @ f1.4, you will lose 2 stops of speed if you get an f2.8 lens (but will obviously get more DoF which may be useful especially as you are going from crop to FF).

So, to my mind, the question is: will the 5Diii’s ability to use higher ISOs more than offset the loss of 2 stops on going from an f1.4 to an f2.8 lens. I don’t know the answer to this but perhaps others with experience of the cameras concerned can offer advice. My guess, and it is a guess, is that there will be an improvement, but not perhaps not quite as great as one might hope for. Let’s hope the experts can answer this!

Now to answer your question! If you haven’t done so already, it would be well worth searching the internet for reviews of the two f2.8 lenses you are considering and, if still in doubt, consider hiring both of them for a few days to compare them. Sure it will cost a bit, but against the cost of the Mark ii it will be relatively small beer. Or just hire the Mki to see if that gives you the quality you need. After all, if you are not making extremely large prints any differences may be insignificant and you’d be able to get the 70-200!

I hope you get the info you need & the lens you buy will give you what you want from it.

Phil

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
HSU
BAK
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow