D800 battery life is shocking, is this faulty or something please help?

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
OP primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,306
Re: anyone else have this problem?

rgolub wrote:

That's funny. I get about 450 - 500 (14 bit NEF lossless compressed). Very little chimping (I just look at the histogram briefly), no review, no movie, no Live View. All of the latter, Live View especially, takes the battery down fast.

Basically I can go on a moderate full shooting day without a battery change.

Unless the OP is doing something odd (a lot of LV or monitor review or something like that) it suggests a bad battery or confused camera. First thing I would do is get a second battery and see if the behavior was similar.

Then I'd quantify things a bit better - use a standard setup and get some real numbers. At present, it's hard to say if the camera / battery has an issue or the OP is just hard on the system.
--
RG
http://www.lostrange.com

Hey. Tell me why my battery is already at 1 in terms of age! With like 1300 shots! Where is yours out of interest? Can any of you check your menu in the battery info tab for me? What you are saying is LIKELY what I am getting, but you view this as acceptable I guess? I have image review on too, to check critical focus in portraits and landscapes, so it cannot really be avoided. I'm not hard on the system. I have no lenses with VR, use mixture of AF and MF but mostly AF. Fixed lenses mainly, AF-S mode etc with image review, shooting mainly in RAW. The battery life may just be crap then. Like I said if you get 400, that's likely what I am getting but I will check closer in the coming weeks.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow