D800/D800E vs scanned 4x5 film? Locked

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 1,994
D800/D800E vs scanned 4x5 film?

Anyone done the tests? Care to share?

I recently dusted off my 4x5 camera to shoot a personal project that I had hoped to shoot with my new D800. It's been a couple of years since I shot large format film and the negs (Portra 160VC) I've had processed looked surprisingly good.

I couldn't use the D800 for the project as I was one of the unlucky ones who got a D800 with screwy auto focus. Nikon were unable to fix it, so I got a refund, and am now waiting for the dust to settle before purchasing another D800 (or maybe a D800E).

Before returning the D800 I did a quick D800 vs 4x5 test (newspaper on a wall - 24mm lens on the Nikon, 90mm on the 4x5). I won't have the negs from this test developed and scanned (Imacon 949) until later next week.

Anyone done a similar test? I'm guessing that I'll need at least 2 or 3 stitched D800 frames to match 4x5, but I'd love to proved wrong.

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow