Can Pentax double its sales in one year -- the goal of its President

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,286
Re: Can Pentax double its sales in one year -- the goal of its President

With the current low sales numbers doubling sales should be possible. Now how will it relate to other camera companies is a good question.

Pentax really do need to get cameras out that people want to buy. The Q didn't interest me. I got away from p&s size sensors and don't want to go back. The K-01 is an interesting camera but it really is not much smaller than the K-5 that I own. Plus I will be giving up the viewfinder. The K-30 looks to be a good camera but I already own two K-5's. I am interested in a camera above the K-5 but it isn't out yet.

I did buy an Olympus E-M5 last month. I was wanting a smaller, rugged, weather-sealed camera to take on my caving and kayaking trips. I got it with the 12-50 kit lens. For caving with my K-5 I had to pack everyting into a Pelican 1400 box and all I could get was the camera with the 17-70, the DFA100 Macro lens, and two optically slaved hotshoe flashes. I then had to use a Pelican 1200 box to take three bore flashes. It was a lot to be dragging through a cave. With the E-M5 I am able to pack the EM-5 with the 12-50 lens and three optical slaved flashes into a Pelican 1300 box. It is a lot easier to drag through a cave.

I also found the E-M5 to be a nice social/family camera. The smaller size really is nice. The image quality from the E-M5 is very close to the IQ from the K-5. During the last few weeks (LBA has kicked in) I have brought the follwoing MFT lenses: Olympus 45/1.4, Olympus 12/2.0, Panasonic 25/1.4.

Now I wish Pentax would have came out with something like the E-M5. A higher-end mirrorless rugged weather-sealed camera, but life is too short to wait.

Pentax really need to get something on the market that excites the buyer into buying it. The K30 just might do this. The K-5 replacement will most likely do this. So far in mirrorless cameras Pentax has not produce a "must buy" camera. A Full Frame just might sell really well, especially if it can be small compact and price well.

I am not selling any Pentax gear and I do hope to buy the 560 lens when it is released.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow