Which lens would you buy first?

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,146
Re: Which lens would you buy first?

Hi Misdy,

I have a D300s. All of my lenses except one are FX - I will eventually return to an FX camera (last one was film) and in the meantime my DX camera exploits the relatively better centre performance of my FX lenses.

I bought the 24-70 AF-S f/2.8. It is an excellent lens at all focal lengths (NB: I use Lightroom for processing and the use of Lens Correction Profiles may 'hide' (ie deal very effectively with) any perceivable shortcomings of the lens). Personally I find 24mm on a DX camera to be 'pleasantly' wide and quite useful for landscapes. I think you would enjoy this lens as it will provide your most often-used focal length of 50mm, with the 24-70 zoom flexibility in a package which is not too heavy.

I have only owned an 80-200 AF-S f/2.8 for a couple of weeks. It is very sharp and gives that 'compressed' look of longer lenses. It is very heavy and difficult to hand-hold steadily. I will have to use it with a tripod under all but bright conditions. The VR on the 70-200 AF-S VRII will extend the range of conditions under which you are able to hand-hold it, but it will be just as heavy.

At the long end, I rationalised that I would most likely use a 14-24 at either end of its range. Already having a 24mm focal length 'in the bag' I opted to buy a 14mm prime. I went for a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 AE - chipped for Nikon so that it provides EXIF data and allows control of the aperture from the camera body. It is manual focus only, but at a fraction of the cost of the Nikkor zoom it is a very sharp, lightweight alternative. It produces quite strong and complex distortion, not so bad on a DX body. Again, this is dealt with quite effectively by use of a Lens Correction Profile.

In summary: get the 24-70 first, and see where you go from there.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow