Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Of 22mm f/2 envy ... not

headofdestiny wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

You do know that not all NEX cameras have the same sensor. And lenses are not designed for specific sensor to begin with.

I know that you've become involved in these forums for all of a week or two, but your knowledge has some catching up to do.

When your argument begins with a "you're a newbie" argument, the last thing you should worry about is my knowledge. But, I'm, indeed, trying to learn people like you. It will take some time, and you're helping.

The NEX-5N and NEX-7 have very different sensor toppings, and both receive light rays with acute angles differently. On tear down, it has been shown by Vivek on GetDpi that the NEX-7 has an extra piece of glass directly in front of the sensor (which is likely an AA filter for video,) and the NEX-7 doesn't not handle angled light rays nearly as well as the 5N. This piece of glass likely causes more astigmatism on the NEX-7. There is also speculation about different microlenses arrays, but that is unconfirmed.

And that has NOTHING to do with your argument. You went with the excuse: "but lens xyz is made for NEX". I say, again, "designed for NEX" doesn't mean anything when it comes to sensor. It would, if ALL models used the same sensor, and lenses were actually designed to be sensor specific. They aren't.

Either way, that wasn't my point. The 50 Summilux isn't designed for the NEX sensor size. It has a Zone B dip that falls right at the corners of the aps-c sensor, so you're not maximizing its potential on a NEX camera.

Summilux is designed for full frame. It should actually benefit in a crop sensor body.

Do you seriously believe that FF lenses are at a disadvantage on crop sensors because APS-C cameras reject the corners?

Lenses are very much designed with both registration and sensor in mind, because, as you move towards the periphery of a sensor, it becomes more difficult for pixels to receive angled light rays. The Sigma 30, Canon 22, etc. are very different designs than you'd see for similar lenses on DSLR.

Ahem... you might have a point if you said that lenses were designed for full frame or APS-C (sensor size) instead of "but it was designed for NEX sensor". The latter makes for a rather uneducated argument. But then, that actually sounds better than suggesting that FF lenses will perform worse on APS-C sensor bodies.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow