Which lens would you buy first?

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
aut0maticdan
aut0maticdan Senior Member • Posts: 1,217
Re: Which lens would you buy first?

I like the 14-24 as a start. I bought one for the d700 but also used it on the d7000 while I was between the d700 and d800. Its a nice wide angle, not ultra wide, on DX. It is a bit big and weird on the camera at first though, I must admit.

Before the 17-35, nikon had a 20-35. The 14-24 provides a similar FOV (21-36) and is arguably well-rounded on DX.

Going off topic...

I'm rationalizing here for you a bit though. As others state, I'm not a huge fan of the trinity for DX. Although you'd have 14-200 covered seamlessly and awesomely, no specific lens covers midrange very well. You probably don't want to be switching between the 14-24 and 24-70 regularly and having to carry them both everywhere. Generally you could get away with either, but you just don't end up with a ton of flexibility (while carrying around heavy zooms!).

Obviously, I could be way off based on your preferences.

For my personal taste, I'd go 17-55 + 70-200 because the 17-55 would be usable for 99%. I'd take the savings and buy a 28/1.8 and maybe an UWA prime or zoom.

If you see FX in your future, I think you're on the right track!

aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7S II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow