Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: here's another example of what I do with the snapshot skopar 25mm

GaryW wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

DOF on a 24mm f/2 at 2m: 22 inch
DOF on a 24mm f/2.8 at 2m: 31 inch

You will get the blur, just not as good with either as you would with a 35mm f/1.8 (which should, theoretically, also be less distortive). It is why I feel that for such shots, 35mm is a better focal length on APS-C than 20 or 24mm. It also isn’t as limiting as 50mm can be on APS-C.

But 35mm feels limiting to me, when used as a general-purpose lens. I'm sure it amounts to personal preference. Someone posted some street photos using the 50mm and the bokeh was like butter. Looks great, but I think 28 is about as narrow as I would want for a walk-around lens, but that's just me.

I discovered that when feeling limited by focal lengths, a quality zoom lens gets the job done, and quite well. My favorite general use focal length isn't 24mm or 28mm, but 20mm to 35mm. So, instead of carrying a 20mm, a 24mm, a 28mm/30mm and a 35mm, I would rather carry just 16-50/2.8.

While not a street shot, this is what you can expect out of a 35mm f/1.8 (taken with Sony NEX-3):

And this lens isn't one I expect to use regularly for landscapes, so I won't mind if it doesn't perform exceptionally well at aperture smaller than f/8. That I would, if it were a landscape focal length (which pretty much every lens is up to about 30mm).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You want to take landscapes using less than f8?
--
Gary W.

No, I said that 35mm isn't a focal length I would normally pick for landscape (but it can be). So, f/8 or larger is fine with me. However, for a landscape, I prefer that the lens be designed optimally for smaller apertures rather than diffraction showing up early (as is the case with large aperture lenses).

What good is a lens designed at landscape focal lengths if it is optimized for wider apertures? A similar design compromise also applies to macro lenses, where optimization is critical at smaller apertures.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow