Photo Storage and Backup

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
James Pezzella
OP James Pezzella Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: Photo Storage and Backup

Thanks for your reply... I just need a backup solution that is easy, reliable, and affordable. I had that with Carbonite when I kept all my files locally on my main desktop - and lost that capability when I moved my images and music to a NAS (Carbonite doesn't support network backups).

I may just have to move them back to my desktop and really look to see if my other devices (Win7 laptop, MacBook Pro, various tablets and smarthones) really need access...

Something's going to have to give and I suspect it's the ability to share across the network. If I move everything back Carbonite will back it all up ...

AikenMooney wrote:

Yes, ask 10 people and get 10 or more answers. I have about 60,000 images on two 2tb h/d's in Raid 1 and do understand the risk. I have two ext USB 3 h/d's and backup every week or after an important trip or shoot. One ext remains in fireproof safe. When I was using USB 2 this was a long overnight process.

This system is about 3 weeks old and has 3 USB3 ports. I had it built locally and the store mgr really does not like to install drives larger than 1tb as they seem to have a much higher failure rate. I had almost 800gb on my 1 tb drives so there was little choice. I explained my backup procedure and he installed two 2tb WD drives.

I don't want to use the cloud as I might need the backups on a clear day. I also unerstand from what I have read and heard it is a very slow process.

It comes down to your comfort lever. Only thing important is to use a backup system and use it.

Good luck with your decision.

-- hide signature --

Equipment list in my profile
http://www.flickr.com/jamespezzella

James Pezzella's gear list:James Pezzella's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow