Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Don't bother getting angry...

zackiedawg wrote:

BTW - that was meant to say 'same rule goes for collapsable lenses'..we were already talking about pancakes, but we hear the same refrain from those that want collapsable and power zoom lenses, which have the same issue of putting lens design/size over IQ in the priority list.

Collapsible designs can work, and do. Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 is such a beauty with collapsible design that makes it only 40mm long to carry and 58mm or so to shoot. But then, it also benefits from rather simplistic approach of manual focus lens without image stabilization. But then, I would be just fine if Sony delivered a 24mm or 35mm collapsible prime if for nothing but to shut up the critics.

Power zoom and collapsible zoom lenses, however, would be a whole different issue.

I'm even perfectly OK with them wanting such lenses. If they prize compactness over anything else, and really want those tinier lenses for their cameras for maximum portability, that's fine by me...hopefully in the future such lenses will be made that can accomodate their needs. But the problem comes in expecting those lenses to perform exactly as well as a proper, full-sized prime or zoom. If it happens to be a surprisingly good performer, wonderful - but it should be expected to have some compromise in IQ in order to have achieved the small form factor. Better to have expectations exceeded by surprisingly good performance than to have unmeetable expectations and being inevitably disappointed.

Amen! There is no harm in wanting a Ferrari to carry five people in comfort and for the price of a Focus, however.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow