Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,356
Re: zuiko om is tiny fast and sharp.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Fast, good quality lenses are going to be big (and expensive). Compare Leica 24mm f/1.4 Summilux-M to Leica 24mm f/3.8 Elmar-M for example. At 500g, the former weight nearly twice as much, and is also 50% longer (60mm versus 40mm). Optical designs are about compromises. Personally, costs kept aside, I would gladly take the slow Elmar-M over Canon's faster pancake 22mm or Samyang's 24mm/1.4.

One of the issues I have with 16mm pancake is compromises on IQ for its size. Beyond a certain point, compactness is a non-issue to me. If it were an issue, I would sell my NEX and get RX100 instead.

As far as bokeh goes, these aren't the focal lengths for it. When I think 20-28mm, I think landscapes, where I find f/5.6-11 a more useful range than f/2-f/4. And for those rare times when you might want to take low light images, what is wrong with f/2.8? That is my walk around lens on A55 (16-50 f/2.8 SSM) if carrying a zoom and it does a fine job. In fact, my much slower travel zoom (Sigma 18-250, which is f/4 at 24mm) gets the job done as well.

Olympus zuiko Om 24mm is f2, tiny, and sharp. With focus mag I think shooting would be pretty fast. Shoot lots - edit later - it's digital so you'll never run out of film.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow