Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark_McD Senior Member • Posts: 1,759
Re: Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Honestly this subject is ridiculous to me:

Reading the forums here, I find that people complain because OH MY GOODNESS, THERE ISN'T THE LENS I WANT AT THE PRICE I WANT, IN THE SPEED I WANT AND SIZE I WANT.

The reality of it is that there probably won't be all 4. Sony saw that the Nex in the form-factor similar to a rangefinder may also have popularity from equivalent focal lengths that were popular with rangefinders. This would be 35mm, and so instead of releasing a more optically compromised lens, they contracted CZ to design a very good quality lens.

There are those of us who would prefer a 50mm equivalent lens, like a 35mm. A lot of people have complained about this, which holds more water than saying the lens you want is too expensive, as far as I'm concerned.

For every request you'll hear, there's deviations within it. It should be $200, $300, or I don't care of the cost, as long as it's fast and a pancake! It should be a 24mm EFL, 12mm EFL, 85mm EFL. It should also be f1.2, f1.4, f2, I don't care if it's f4.

It should be a pancake, the size of the kit lens, or I don't care as long as it competes with high-end legacy glass, by the way of quality!

As many options as you can think of, anyone who's been here for a while has noticed the trend, everyone wants something different and wants it at a different price. I understand my post may have a facetious tone, but I hope it helps you to understand how improbable not just this individual request is, but the volume of them.

I can empathize with the ambition of more lenses period, and I feel that now with Sigma and Tamron having already released their first lenses, and Sony supposed to release a number of (often requested) lenses this year, we should see a lot more native lenses rolling out.

Whether these are small, big, cheap or expensive I don't know, but if I were in your shoes at the present and wanted a focal length that Sony has already released and exceeded my IQ requirements with, I would be delighted and simply wait for tax season when I have a surplus of money and be done with it.

I think Dennis did a fine job of explaining it when he said "We can ask why Sony couldn't release a 22mm like Canon did, or we can alternately ask why Canon hasn't released a 16mm like Sony did."
(paraphrasing)

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow