Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Let's see...two Sony lenses for your NEX...

I’m afraid you are assuming Canon to be something better than a mediocre lens. Sony’s 16mm is a mediocre lens too, designed for the reason you’re demanding a 22-24mm pancake for. I don’t see Sony offering another mediocre lens only to fill the gap. If a 24mm happens, and should, it just might not be a pancake lens. If it were that easy to build a fast pancake with above average optics, everybody will be making at least one. And as I said earlier, Leica won’t be settling in for a fast 24mm lens that weighs over a pound (500g) with the dimensions of Sony’s 18-55 zoom lens.

The other aspect you want such lens for (large aperture) is something I’m not getting either. You can get Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and have a shallower DOF than you’d get from a 24mm f/2 lens, with about 50cm from the subject. And if that is the reason, does it really matter if the lens is 24mm, 20mm or 30mm?

For that matter, why not just get Sigma 19mm f/2.8 or 30mm f/2.8? Those appear to be inexpensive lenses with very good IQ.

Also, manual focusing with large aperture lenses with these focal lengths isn't an issue at all. My Takumar 50mm f/1.4, for example, has a small fraction of the DOF that you'd get in a 24mm lens at f/2. One of the most used lenses on my NEX is Sony 35mm f/1.8 (A-mount), and the DOF on that one is less than 1 cm at its MFD, and manual focusing is a non-issue (the lens will auto focus on NEX, but I prefer manual). Here is a close focus sample out of NEX-3 with 35mm/1.8:

And this image was taken relatively late in the evening (sun was well behind the fence to the left).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow