Is 24-70 II worth the price

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP DerStig Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Is 24-70 II worth the price

Thanks to everyone's input. The reason why I'm getting 5d3 is its low light performance and AF speed. Currently I am having difficulties where I end up taking most of my shots with 1/100, F2.0, ISO 1600 using T2i. That ISO level is not that great for T2i, not the mention, F2.0 is too thin. If I could maybe go for ISO 6400 and F2.5 and 1/125, that'd be the ideal setup for me which is what 5d3 will give me I believe. What I want to do is:

• I don't want to use flash, that doesn't mean I will never use it, but at home pictures where there will be "average" light, should not require a flash, I keep reading how 5d3 is great with such high ISO.

• Second main objective is, during focusing with a F2.0 - F2.8 range, I need to be able to easily recompose/re-focus on a moving object (i.e. daughter running full speed towards me). That again, T2i fails miserably at.

• Thirdly and lastly, I need to be able to use a zoom lens, wide enough so that I don't have to keep running backwards to catch a shot. I also need that 24mm wideness for family pictures. This is why I don't want crop cameras.

That being said, 7D and 60D are old cameras. I wouldn't even consider 60D as I think T4i is a better camera. As for 7D, it is an old camera. It's replacement will certainly cost > 2k and that new full frame you speak of may never come (remember canon rumors for 5d3 and how for months an announcement was rumored and it was certain and didn't happen and the camera was 2 years late? For all I know, I could be waiting forever). 5d3 is a camera that I could use for 5 years (used T2i for 2.5 years now). I want to get full frame, I want that extra level of quality and range with my lenses.

So the above is my logic for getting 5d3. As for the 24-70 II. I completely hear you guys and understand what you have to say about 24-105. It has IS, it's equal to 24-70 in performance. It has more range. But I read every single review of that lens where it was bought in the bundle with 5d3 and the people buying it either returned it to get a new one or just returned it. Everyone complains about its quality and this and that. Also, if it's such a great lens, how come 24-70 II costs more than twice as much (when bought in kit, this lens is $900 and the 24-70 II is 2.3k) when 24-70 II has much less range? I think the biggest reason, apart from being better built, lighter than its predecessor, and higher IQ, is DOF. There is a massive difference between F2.8 and F4.0 and that's one area where I take most of my shots at. I'd say 80% of my shots are my daughter close up with a very shallow DOF. That's why I wasn't considering 24-105.

As for financial ability, I was being sarcastic. I can afford these lenses with comfort, but that doesn't mean I will go and waste money. Just because I can afford something expensive does not mean It is the right thing and I will go ahead and buy it right away.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
HSU
BAK
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow