ByThom, I challenge you to a duel

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marc Heijligers Contributing Member • Posts: 530
Re: This is often easy.

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

The outer AF points can detect detail slightly inside the marker boundary but not outside the centre of the AF mark.

This statement is not true, and cannot be found in any of Nikons' documentation.

I was told by Nikon that with diagonal objects or angular photography the nearest point of sharpness can be outside the marker of choice. AF triggers on the closest subject or the highest contrast subject in and around the AF field. One could conclude on false grounds that the resulting picture suffers from front focus if one relies on focus only within the AF field.

Several tests on dpreview also show that the area where autofocus can be accomplished is outside the scope of the AF markers (bugging about target quality will not help here). My advice is to study those results, or try it out yourself, or contact Nikon and ask them for further assistance if you need more help on this topic.

Marc Heijligers's gear list:Marc Heijligers's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow