Has Nikon fixed the D800/E AF Left Side Focus Problem?

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,233
Re: Several steps to the "fix"

bob elkind wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

The next step is addressing unsold units in distribution. Re-inspecting and correcting these is quite likely outside of their distribution-chain capability, so I do not personally expect them to be fixed before they end up in the hands of buyers.

The flip side of this is that Nikon believe it is less expensive and less burdensome to re-inspect and correct units returned to service centres by customers than to re-inspect and correct units which are still in the supply chain.

Otherwise, Nikon would halt D800 sales until re-inspected units are available for sale, and Nikon would halt production until the production process and production tests are corrected.

Conventional wisdom is that the earlier in the production/sale process you fix problems, the cheaper the fix is.

• It is cheaper to fix problems in the factory than in the supply chain or the field.

• It is cheaper to fix problems in the supply chain than in the field.

In this case, it seems that Nikon believe the 'failure' rate is low enough that gearing up for customer returns is less expensive than 100% re-test of unsold units in the supply channels.

Certainly, communications between service centers and customers needs to be improved. Cases where owners have submitted their cameras for service multiple times, simply shouldn't be happening; the service centers should be explaining when they expect to be able to calibrate these units, and they should be providing shipping at their cost.

As Thom Hogan would say (forgive me if I am putting the wrong words in his mouth), this is not a communications improvement problem , this is a Nikon corporate culture characteristic . Until all the details are worked out, and training and spare parts and test gear are fully deployed, say nothing . Nikon is acting exactly as expected -- entirely true to form -- and as they have handled similar problems in the past. This is highly reminiscent of the manner in which Nikon handled the D200 "banding" problem.

I think this is a Japanese company mindset. Having come from Pentax DSLR's, Pentax did the same with some of the issues they have had in the past. I have also heard that this happens with many other Japanese companies.

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow