Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
alexzn
alexzn Senior Member • Posts: 1,787
Re: Why I'll have a look at EOS M, and what I'll look for...

Not really... OM-D is quite a bit bigger, but a MUCH better photographic tool. Based on the test shots at DPR, the sensor in the OM-D is actually better than the EOS-M sensor (despite being smaller,...I know...) If you add IBIS to the mix, the Olympus is a much better value for your money. There is no indication so far that the 22mm Canon pancake is an optical gem, while the 20f1.7 is cell known for being very good. RX100 deserves a serious look by anyone who wants a compact just in case travel camera. Built beautifully too.

PaulRivers wrote:

Yeah, the EOS-M is really the:

• Smallest

• Best for low light

• At the lowest cost

Mirrorless you can buy. The NEX doesn't compete as it doesn't have a compact f2.0-or-better prime lens.

The only other interesting option is the Olympus e5m (I think that's the name) - with the f1.7 lens which is about 1/2 of a stop better than f2.0, that makes up some of the sensor difference, and the in-body stabilization gives you IS as well, something the Canon does lack. However, that's also $900 + a $350 lens, so...the Canon is still the cheapest...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow