GH2 with Sigma 28mm F2.8-no IBIS should I change to E-M5?

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Camera movement isn't the issue

Remember what IBIS (or OIS) does: it helps compensate for CAMERA movement, not subject movement. I don't see any real signs of camera movement in those shots. Take a look at the first one. The wheat (?) grains that you're focused on are very sharp. Ones that are away from where you focused are blurry; that's because the depth of field at close focusing distance gets very shallow.

I think there's also some blur caused by subject movement, the wheat is moving in the breeze. IS of any sort won't do a thing about that. The only way to freeze subject motion is with higher shutter speeds.

The primary subject in the second pic looks reasonably sharp, and again I don't see any signs of camera movement, which would tend to blur everything in the same direction.

In short, no, IBIS wouldn't have made those pictures any better. A sharper lens might, or applying a little bit of sharpening in post processing (or more sharpening in-camera if you're shooting jpeg).
--

I've told myself to stop using "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow