Canon's mirrorless system camera: first picture!

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
locke42 Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: Looks like a compact

ljfinger wrote:

And the mirrorless cameras have little advantage there, because it's mostly in the lenses unless you can tolerate having nothing with you but a pancake prime (I wouldn't).

This is the same argument people use against MacBook Airs and other ultrabooks, and as a relatively recent owner of an ultrabook who previously only used full-size laptops, I can say that the argument is total crap.

It is a huge advantage. The lens only adds length, but the volume of the total package is still much, much smaller. It's not pants-pocketable by any means, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be small enough to be conveniently stowable, and while a NEX-7 with kit zoom (just as an example) will fit in the front pocket of my laptop bag, a 60D body only will not.

There are obvious downsides, but for many people the stowability factor outweighs the price and performance costs.

locke42's gear list:locke42's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
DKG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow