New Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200 - faulty body?

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Apples vs Oranges

Rickard Hansson wrote:

schmegg wrote:

bigbadlemon wrote:

Any thoughts?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42057189&changemode=1

Apart from that ...

I see no horizontal banding - only vertical banding. And IMHO that is not normal. I'd return the body and try a different one. (unless you've completely stuffed-up the exposure and lifted the image by many stops - in that case, don't return it because it'll be sent back to you with a 'no fault found' notice!)

Well, the horizontal banding is quite easy to see in the first pic, check her hair, there is a lot of banding in there.

I see only a tad of vertical banding in the hair. It's vertical banding because the camera has been used in the portrait orientation.

You'll see horizontal banding at very high ISO's - at base ISO you'll normally only see vertical banding in the very deepest shadows in the occasional shot if you go hunting for it at 100% pixel view. And that's why I think the OP's camera might need looking at. I've seen the occasional 7D that exhibited more banding than normal. I suspect that the readout channels from the sensor have not been optimally gain-balanced perhaps?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tmr
tmr
tmr
tmr
tmr
tmr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow