If all the compacts can do it, why can't m4/3?

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
If all the compacts can do it, why can't m4/3?

Why don't m4/3 cams let you use the electronic focus by wire wheel on their lenses as a control wheel?

I have been wondering this for years, even back with my old 4/3 slrs. Samsung's NX line added the ifunction button a few years back to their lenses that lens you use a control ring. Since then, basically every high end compact has this feature. Even pocket cams like the tiny canon s100 has one. The new lx7 went this route:

Look at that thing! If you like physical controls, it's a dream come true. On that tiny lens, Panny has squeezed an aperature ring, an aspect ratio switch, an AF mode switch.

The oly xz-1 has one too:

So why can't m4/3 do this? Obviously the lens controls already communicate with the body, and aren't mechanically linked to focus. It would seem like they could change this entirely in the menus/firmware. I change aperature, shutter speed, and EV far more often than I use manual focus, and if I could control these functions from the lens, it would be great.

Oly, Panny, please! Why can't you do this??

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow