Best RX100 feature: don't have to buy 10 "must buy" m4/3 lenses

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
David43Fan Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: LOL...your the best Photo Person

As I've said elsewhere, I think the XZ-1 suits my needs almost perfectly BUT having had an OM-2n 25 years ago, when I set out to find its replacement last year I was seduced into buying several 43 and m43 bodies and still have E-1 and E-PL2.

I keep these as they have features the XZ-1 doesn't - the E-1 has weather proofing, ergonomics, simplicity, and iconic status, the PL2 greater reach with its 14-150 lens. I hardly ever pick them up though. However, even when the absolutely perfect Olympus camera comes around giving me XZ-1 size and 24-200mm EFL zoom , I still think I'd have a problem getting shot of what I'm 'supposed' to have, i.e. an interchangeable lens camera. How could I possibly be able to take good photos with anything less? And what would onlookers think!

I do think the bulk of amateurs believe they must have the latest, most expensive, most talked about kit to be able to take great photos. Realising this is what the marketing men want, I'm always a little hesitant to jump on that bandwagon. It's the same with my main hobby of target shooting. Newcomers turn up with £2000 rifles thinking they will instantly make them the hottest shot, when they'd do better to start with a £200 gun which will outshoot them for many a year. Still that's human nature I guess, always striving for the 'best' with a fair amount of male ego thrown in, as with cars and other material items. Cameras, guns, cars, phones... they are all part of the 'show-off' society where a functional tool has evolved into a piece of designer wear.

The OP has a point in that, like for like, a fixed lens camera is better than an interchangeable lens camera but only if their specification and IQ match, and the fixed lens reach matches the range of lenses available for the latter.

Until Olympus or anyone else can do that, there is no comparison. But it's good to hear he's found HIS dream camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
tko
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow