Can Pentax double its sales in one year -- the goal of its President

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: Can Pentax double its sales in one year -- the goal of its President

Nagas wrote:

Personally I doubt this goal. Even more - I think that Pentax name can disappear after few years...

Perhaps information can dispel your fears?

I am using Pentax gear for years. The name were strong in our country, and even popular in amateur category. But... after Ricoh purchased the company - something changed. E.g. - no advertising of K-01, but big advertising of Ricoh modular system.

Are you aware Lithuania is pretty much irrelevant? (no offence to your country, it's just a small market. So is mine, by the way)

And now - discussion about dropping Pentax name from PS cameras.

Which is just an idea, nothing was decided: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/17/Pentax-Ricoh-no-decision-on-future-of-pentax-compacts
Anyway, compacts are expendable for Pentax.

Seems, that Ricoh buy Pentax because of selling channels for own products, not to keep Pentax name alive.

That's completely false, for several reasons:

• Ricoh cannot sustain Pentax-level sales channels by themselves. Just for some compacts and niche products like the GXR? It makes absolutely no sense.

• Ricoh named the newly formed company "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company", in this order; so the Pentax name is very important to them.

• Ricoh entrusted the said Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company their own camera division, and not the other way around. So Pentax is very important to them (more so than their own camera division!)

• Pentax Ricoh has quite a rich roadmap, with 8 K-mount and 4 645D lenses in 2 years. They already launched the K-30, and more cameras will follow. This surely means Pentax is dying... right?

• Ricoh is investing in Pentax, hiring engineers and so on. A strange way of not keeping them alive.

• Pentax Ricoh is planning to double their sales by 2013.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow