Can Pentax double its sales in one year -- the goal of its President

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 9,343
Re: Can Pentax double its sales in one year -- the goal of its President

breeze_of_wind wrote:

We see yet again a wish by the owners of Pentax to double their sales in one year. If you remember Hoya stated the same goal -- it obviously did not happen. The article that appeared this week stated that the company would make this happen by emphasizing the markets in Japan (the home market) and the emerging markets of China, India, and Russia. One wonders what miracle new products will make the consumer forget Nikon and Canon. Right now there is one interesting long lens in the pipeline, the new K30 on the street, and a hope for several replacements for the K5 (a great camera and I know I am ready to purchase a worthy next generation of this cmap -- full frame or not). Is this the secret marketing plan? If true, why is that Sigma in their release last week concerning the new 180MM f2.8 macro have no plan to release a K mount in 2012. If Pentax has a real hope of doubling their gross sales volume surely Sigma would be in the know and would want to jump in. Finally, the above plan has no focus on other markets -- no Canada, Australia, USA, Germany, France, UK, Brazil, etc. Do you feel left out? Does this make any sense? Is wishful thinking what we expect from our camera company?
John

One does not simply double their sales - a sound plan is needed, one based on investing (in R&D/new products, marketing, production capacity). This is where Hoya failed - if they really planned to double the sales (afaik they were concerned with operating margins, not with market share/sale volumes).
But now, Pentax Ricoh is re-hiring engineers fired by Hoya; what does that tell?

They never said anything about ignoring non-emerging markets; why would I feel left out?

Sigma&co won't jump in because of "hope"; more likely, they will wait for a palpable effect.

By the way, it's not "double their sales in one year"; there are two full years to do that (2012 and 2013). It's not even something that was recently decided.

And with new products like the K-30 and the cameras that will follow it, I have little doubts they'll succeed in growing their sales, maybe even doubling them.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow