Nikon D800E with 14-24

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
bob elkind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
Re: Why do so many people not understand lossless compression?

Mike in WA wrote:

But you said there was no reason (your emphasis) to use uncompressed RAW. The link that Jurwees posted says, under Uncompressed, "This method is useful for customers who wish to use 3rd party software to open their images."

If lowest common denominator compatibility with 3rd party software is a compelling concern, then all of the .NEF formats (of which all are proprietary) should be ruled out in favour of JPEG or TIFF.

The point which Marianne is trying to make is entirely valid: dispelling the mistaken notion that uncompressed .NEF format provides a photographic advantage which is lacking in lossless compressed .NEF format. The uncompressed .NEF format is unnecessary for all but arcane purposes (perhaps evidentiary use in a legal proceeding?)

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow