Not many Sonys why ?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,818
Re: Who the heck cares why????

I'd just like to be able to go into a store and see a Sony camera before I buy it.

Admittedly, I bought my A77 when they were in short supply almost everywhere, but no one local had one. And by local, I'm talking about the entire state of Washington. I went to numerous stores in Seattle, searched online for in store inventory at Best Buy and stopped by and asked at the Sony store several times. I think the Sony store finally got an A77 in stock in May, maybe June. Doesn't have, and probably never will have the portrait grip.

I was able to find an A65 at the time, and decided the OLED in that was good enough (my main hesitation at the time).

But buying a new camera via mail, never seeing it before, kinda had me a bit worried. It's one thing on an object that is pretty totally based on spec's, but there's a certain bit of ergonomics involved in a camera. And to decide if I want the portrait grip, I have to buy it and return it if I don't like it. I hate doing that, I'm sure retailers lose money on it, or are forces to sell something I opened to someone else claiming it's new, when many people feel otherwise about the issue. But there's just no possibility to try it out first, and I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere (OK, maybe I do, but I'm perfectly willing to go to the nearest local city without complaints).

While on vacation in April, I did see them on display, in stock at a duty free store in the Tokyo Narita airport and several electronic stores in Bangkok.... (and I remember seeing NEX ads all over Bangkok when I was there in 2010, that was the first time I had even heard about the NEX cameras).

But I'd also mention that all the older point and shoots, the cybershots, that I saw were crap. They might have had decent features, etc, but every time someone shared a photo from one of them it was horrible (last time I remember was in 2006, and the camera could have been several years old). I had been thinking about getting a DSLR for a couple years, but not sure if I really wanted to spend $1000 when I was a Sony A300 kit at Costco for about $500 (with 55-200mm). And I was reluctant to buy it based on all the crap photos I had seen from older cybershots, but decided I'd try it anyways.... (ya, I liked it). The one thing that pushed me to try it was remembering that I had read somewhere about Minolta lenses fitting the Sony DSLRs, and knowing that Minolta was well knows for producing some very high quality glass back in the day.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Stv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow