Nikon 135mm f1.8 hopefully Blazing Fast AF? Who plans to buy?

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
AlexTim5
AlexTim5 Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Alex, +1 on the Min. Focus Distance

I'm sure Nikon is able to produce fast focusing 135 F/2 or F/1.8 - just look at fantastic Canon EF 135mm f/2 USM L - which is super fast-focusing, optically great (and more than 15 year old!!!). I can't see the reason why Nikon couldn't make the same (and even better) in all aspects - optical quality, AF, min. FD + VR!

As for optical compromises, again - just look at new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L IS II. This lens is the same (or even slight better) optically as Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII AND it has TRUE 70-200mm (may be 70-190mm but not 70-130mm as Nikkor) at close focus distances (no focus breathing). So... It is not the problem.

anotherMike wrote:

I seriously doubt if Nikon does an updated 135 F/2 or F/1.8 or whatever that it will be a super speedy focuser like the 70-200 VR2, which was explicitly designed for AF speed. There are optical compromises when you go for rapid AF (the breathing of the VR2 is the big tradeoff with that zoom, btw - you can't have super fast AF, sharpness, and no breathing at all focal lengths - it's a pick the 2 out of 3 kind of thing, and it's obvious which 2 Nikon went for on the VR2 zoom), and I would actually prefer a very accurate and reasonable focusing 135 (actually, 105 suits me better) with excellent imagequality like the 85/1.4G plus a smidge. I'd be all over such a lens in a heartbeat.

BTW, the VR2 zoom is freaking crazy hell good at 105mm on my D800E. Frankly I'm blown away with that combo, at that focal length, from 5.6 on. Hard to really do any better.

-m

AlexTim5's gear list:AlexTim5's gear list
Nikon D810
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD 4Motioner
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow