Lightweight and compact tripod for travel and hiking?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheRattt Junior Member • Posts: 41
Lightweight and compact tripod for travel and hiking?

Hello

I am looking to buy a tripod for hiking and travel. Low weight and the tripod being as smallas possible in its collapsed state is key.

Up til now I have been using a gorillapod for this kind of job, but it's not really cutting it due to its obvious lack of height. I do have a alu manfrotto tripod as well, but this is too big (22+ inches) to fit in a backpack. Real world result is that it's usually left at home.

So I guess it's time for some ultra collapsable (carbon fiber?) solution.

The current requirements for the tripod is that it can be used with a canon t3i, heaviest lens being a 70-200L. Alltough I want it to be able to handle the 5D series, I'll probably make the upgrade in a weak moment in the not so distant future. Maxium height must be 60"+. Collapsed height should be as small as possible, preferrably less than 10 inches.

I have looked trough a lot of options on the web but I can't really find something that seems to fit my needs. There are some Gitzo's (traveler series) that do meet the requirements but these are $1000. I was hoping to find one for less than $500.

I greatly appreciate tips if someone know any products (if it even exists) that will fit my needs!

THANKS

TheRattt's gear list:TheRattt's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow