Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII with Nikon 2X converter

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
docfink Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII with Nikon 2X converter

I've got to say I'm disappointed with my combo. I've got the latest versions of both and when combined, I get similar results with my (previous ) D700 and present D800. That is, the focus speed is great, but there is crappy bokeh and terrible vignetting. Centrally the images are shop, but the drop-off is terrible, IMHO.

It's possible my TC200 III is a lemon and I should have Nikon check it out. An example is a plain snapshot of my oldest son and three of his lacrosse buddies lined up in a row. The guys in the middle are sharp, but the lateral boys are fuzzy. It's a shame and a frustrating. The 70-200 alone is a wonderful lens, and better than the previous version I owned.

Maybe I'm asking too much from a TC, but I didn't feel like buying the 200-400 for the few times I'd use it.

docfink's gear list:docfink's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow