7D or 5Dmkii - same discussion, with a twist

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lee Taylor Senior Member • Posts: 2,078
Re: 7D or 5Dmkii - same discussion, with a twist

qianp2k wrote:

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

It's a myth that the 5D2 wins on landscapes. Unless you plan on buying one or more T/S lenses, there is no real reason to go with the 5D2 for landscapes and no real IQ difference at low to mid ISO. In fact, under certain budget scenarios you might end up with worse IQ on the 5D2 because UWA lenses are easier to manufacture for crop. A $700 Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 matches a $1,600 Canon 16-35 f/2.8L II. If your budget forces you to the 17-40L on FF, then you end up with worse IQ.

Myth or Science?

Myth. BTW, you cannot directly compare DxO's lens test results across different sensors and formats. That you don't know this is an indicator that you should not be commenting on resolution related questions.

I own both lenses and have shot the 17-40L on both formats. Sorry, the 7D+Tokina out resolves the 5D2+17-40L. You need a 16-35L II to match.

FF 5D2 wins easily in natural sharpness, smooth color rendition and DR (especially highlight clipping) and high ISOs.

The 5D2 is observably sharper out of camera, but by such a small amount that it's easily offset with camera settings or post processing. Color rendition is no different between the two all other factors being equal. Indeed, color is a non-argument with any modern DSLR. Photographer choices in camera settings, post processing, even printers and papers eclipse any of the miniscule differences in color rendition between sensors. The 5D2 has about 1 stop more DR, but highlighting clipping looks the same on either.

I know because I own both 5D2 and 60D (that shares the same sensor as in 550 and 7D) and I use them extensively.

Feel free to post test images (not random images with many non-sensor differences) to prove your point. You never could in the past, while the rest of us have on multiple occasions. I might remind you that nobody has been able to correctly tell unlabeled 5D2 from 7D crops, not even once.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow