Canon 50mm f1.4 tragedy

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
maxnimo Junior Member • Posts: 44
Canon 50mm f1.4 tragedy

I always thought that a lens would outlast any camera, but that's not the case with my Canon 50mm f1.4.

I got some great images from this lens, even during intermittent focusing problems, but I put up with it for years. Then I had total auto-focus failure. Less than a year after that... total lens failure. But here is the tragic part: manual focusing at wider apertures was virtually impossible to do with any accuracy, and worse yet, when the rest of the electronics failed, there seems to be no way to manually set the aperture. I was too stupid to realize how badly designed this lens was when I bought it. And to add insult to injury, the critical internal parts are made of plastic. Plastics are unstable with time, can outgas, and break off tiny bits, which is precisely what I see inside the lens array... a dirty film coating and small black flecks of plastic.

Now to repair this lens would be throwing good money after bad, and I would never again consider using such a potentially unreliable lens on any of my projects, so in the end I will be looking for a new system, one that uses lenses with manual aperture override and accurate manual focusing. I'm done with Canon. Meanwhile, my Minolta 50mm prime gave me perfect focus way back in 1976, and it's still functioning perfectly today.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
irm
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow