Settings for Shooting RAW Format @ 20 megapixels on D800

Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aquarta Regular Member • Posts: 138
Settings for Shooting RAW Format @ 20 megapixels on D800

Hello everyone,

I believe I have the answer to the following question but I just want to confirm with fellow D800 users.

After reviewing the user's manual, it appears that if one desires to shoot 20 Megapixels in RAW format, the "image area" needs to be set at 1.2x and not FX. Is this correct? So if that is the case, that means I'm not actually shooting "full frame" and the sides will be cropped and also the "crop factor" will apply. So if I'm shooting with a 50mm lens, I'm actually shooting 50mm x 1.2

My original intention was to set the "image area" to FX (based on the menu settings) and then set the "image quality" to "RAW" hence 20 megapixels. However, this doesn't seem possible because the "image size" is greyed out in the menu when trying to do the following:

1. Image Area = "FX"
2. Image Quality = "RAW"
3. Image Size

Am I understanding this correctly or perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly? Any help, explanation, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow