Full frame

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
rf-design
rf-design Regular Member • Posts: 499
Re: We can only dream for now.

I think FF add a second complicated processing step to the sensor manufacturing. The image size of the 10:1 DUV-optical steppers is too small for FF and also 24x16 need special, more relexed, layout design rules for the chip edges. In addition to the three deep charge collection implants they have to process the optical stepping outside of the current foundry.

It is true that the current lenses are better matched to FF if they are designed for. But they are mostly not designed for the actual pixel density. So I expect that new lens designs are prefered for APS-C. To me it seems that FF provide only in low light situations a one stop advantage. A 1.4/50mm gives in principle not more resolution than a 1.4/30mm wide open. That is because if both are similar they are limited by geometrical abberations. So you get one stop advantage. If you need at the same time more deep of focus there is no significant advantage for FF, both in terms of noise and resolution.

rf-design's gear list:rf-design's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 40D Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +57 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow