EX2 has been announced

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148
Re: This Is By Far Not The First BSI Sensored Camera and the IQ Advantage

jimr wrote:

that you proclaim is not a Samsung special.....nor is it the magical design that makes a small sensor perform as well as a well designed large sensor. We've seen enough (many ) BSI sensored cameras to know that many are very good and are an advancement...BUT they do not close the gap in a significant way as compared to well designed up to date larger sensors. Sony, in fact is the source of many of these sensors used by many manufacturers in their DCs.

What about when BSI is used for m4/3 or APS-C? Granted, sensor size is important, but the better smaller sensors get the less important the larger sensor is.

Current APS-C technology offers fairly similar performance to full frame sensors from 6 years ago or so (Canon 5d). If BSI adds a stop to how much light is captured by the sensor, that means some future BSI APS-C sensor would perform pretty close to a current FX camera (D4, etc), but that technology is a ways out for APS-C or FX cameras.

A point where this is going is that technology to increase sensor performance costs money, when is it cheaper to just use a larger sensor? Larger sensors are also much more expensive. I imagine sensors will stabilize around APS-C or 4/3 size if they can reach the performance of current full frame cameras.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ET2
ET2
ET2
tko
ET2
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow