Is it safe to by an S100?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
boeckelr New Member • Posts: 13
Is it safe to by an S100?

Hi -

I am looking for a camera for my Mom's birthday. She wants something small enough to fit in her purse...and I want her to have a decent camera. It will be replacing a 4 or 5 year old compact Panasonic (cant remember the model offhand) that never took good images.

I had it narrowed down to the S100, the Olympus XZ-1, or the Nikon P310.

The Olympus, although small by my standards, isnt compact enough for what my Mom wants (my dad has a Panasonic LX3 and she wanted something more compact). The S100 and the Nikon P310 are a good size for her.

BTW RAW is not an important feature for her. She will be shooting jpegs.

I am leery of the lens issue with the S100....I have read reviews from owners who are on their 4th or 5th S100. I absolutely want to avoid this. I did read the announcement from Canon and know that they are acknowledging the issue and I know that they have narrowed it down to specific serial numbers.

Does anyone have any advice? Are these lens issues endemic to Canon point and shoots? Somehow I remember maybe 10 years ago when I bought a Canon Powershot that some of those models had lens issues also.

All things being equal I would prefer the S100...it has a slightly larger sensor...although I am not sure how much of a difference it will make in day to day use. I almost pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday, but the lens issue made me reconsider.

I know this is a Canon forum...but does anyone have any experience with the Nikon P310? Has anyone here compared the P310 with the S100?

Any help/advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Nikon Coolpix P310 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow