Is it time to switch?

Started Jul 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356
Re: You sound like me... Similar gear and lifestyle changes

String wrote:

As a long time Nikon user I have a decent collection of gear; D300, 24-70 2.8. 70-200 2.8, etc. etc. When I purchased glass I had full intention of upgrading to full frame (at some point) so built my kit around that. That was several years ago, this is now; The majority of my photography is now done while on vacation (with my wife) or just walking around town. Carrying around a "pro" grade body/glass is becoming a chore not mention taking it on flights.

I started shooting Nikon in 2004 and I still have a D200 with eight lenses (including 17-55mm F2.8 and 80-200mm f/2.8), SB-800, SB-600, etc.

I still love the Nikon "system" and still do the occasional studio work although that been a very minor part of my shooting. Dont do sports anymore as the kids are all grown up.

I used to shoot some events on the side, but now that I am married with a toddler and a baby, I just don't have time anymore. A couple of years ago I considered moving to a Nikon FX system or at least upgrading my D200 to a D300. In the end I decided that I would rather have a small high quality camera system I could carry ever day, so I bought a GF1 some lenses instead.

I'm not a pixel peeper by any stretch and I do print a fair amount, upto 13x19 for my own and friends. I shoot raw exclusively, dont do video, pp in LR/PS.

Same here. I have 13x19 print as taken with the GF1 that look fantastic, and I expect the E-M5 to be even better than my D200. I have an E-M5 arriving today, actually

I also have no illusion on my skills as a photographer; the D300 far exceeds my skill however I'm certainly not getting any younger to carry yet more gear. I have done some paid work however dont see that as a major part of my future.

I have found that my needs as a photographer have simply changed, and the options have expanded. I will probably do a little paid work or sell a few prints every now and then, but now my focus is photographing my own family. M4/3 is great for that.

Some of my hesitation: Can I live without an OVF? So used to Nikon's focusing and their CLS system; it may be really hard to give that up. Do I hedge my bets on Olympus given whats been going on in their board rooms lately? Is there a fast telephoto option for m4/3 yet or one coming?

I don't miss the OVF much, although it still beats an EVF on sunny days. EVF also has some advantages. Nikon's CLS rocks. I have used the on-board flash of the GF1 to trigger remote speedlights, but of course you don't have a way to adjust the flashes from the camera like you can with the D200/300. For me it will be tough to sell the Nikon until fast zooms are available. Now we have the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and there is a fast tele in the works as well. But for much of my m4/3 shooting I have gone back to primes.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling and thanks for reading this far! I guess just looking to get some thoughts from people who have made the jump and/or are thinking along the same lines.

I have been happy shooting with both systems, but who knows? The E-M5 might just inspire me to go full m4/3 and sell the rest of my Nikon gear.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
lhl
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow