D800 service center check for the focusing points

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 1,710
Re: AZBlue's good old days...

Again, I'm not saying that people should use the center AF point or they should "quit complaining". What is it about people here who insist on putting words in my mouth that I never said? Talk about hearing what you want to hear!

I am simply saying (and re-saying) that we should not pretend that our cameras are unusable without all 51 AF points being 100% accurate. That's all. Of course they SHOULD work, of course Nikon should to be fixing defective cameras, and of course there are advantages to using other than center AF point. These are all givens that I did not think needed to be emphasized, but obviously people get very emotional around here over the slightest comment.

BUT you can still shoot and get great results while you are awaiting a fix from Nikon. What is so difficult to understand? People so quickly get upset and up in arms over nothing. Don't let a bum left AF point keep you from becoming the next Galen Rowell! That's all.

John M Roberts wrote:

SkyDreamer wrote:

The forum is filling up with superintelligent people lately, telling to everybody how good they are and how clueless is people not thinking their way.

Now someone tells us that we need only the central focus point and people who disagrees with him is an armchair photograph and other nice adjectives ... give me a break!

I tend to agree with you that he has a very subjective opinion. Use the center point and all is OK unless you are incompetent.

AZBlue, you seem to suggest to those posters here that presented to you the advantages of outer point AF for capturing non static subjects to quit complaining since in the days with out it, all was possible. That's a bit closed minded in my opinion.

Should we all just resort to recompose? That won't work for close up portrait work where you want to shoot somewhat wide open. On a tripod I find the outer points very useful for when I want another zoom perspective I will need to refocus. Lifting my camera off the tripod to center my subject for focus then reattach to the head, even though I'm using quick release, takes enough time for me to miss shots in conditions that are changing rapidly.

Shooting from a kayak, no tripod here obviously, I have enough wind, wave and current movement that most times it is quite difficult to keep my eye steady enough to assure correct composition especially if I have to continually recompose each time I change my zoom settings. That's where the outer points work for me.

You say you are old school. Maybe not enough old school. Sure I can alway try and resort to my old methods but consider this. Manual focus equipment from the film days were easier to use then what MF is with AF equipment today. The lenses then were made to aid in critical focusing with more tension on the ring and with more turning distance. Infinity for almost all lenses but a few were at the end of the turn. Not so today. Many lenses are sloppy with little fine tuning capability and all I have encountered can be turned beyond infinity. Different prisms were available and easily removed to use for specific lenses. I would have loved AF then. Today I wish they would incorporate more of the favorable characteristics we had in the MF days.

So to say just because we did without it in the old days doesn't quite support your somewhat isolated viewpoint.

John R

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow