couldn't help myself...

Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,958
Re: total weight of kit

jim stirling wrote:

Buchan-Grant wrote:

in the course of answering a post on that thread I weighed my kit and could not believe just hoe light it is:

"sure thing, I have the following lenses at the moment, (in 35mm equivalent focal lengths)
7,5mm f3.5 fisheye
14-28mm f4
24mm f2
50mm f1.4
90mm f1.8
150-600mm f4.8-6.7

Of course the lenses do not have the same performance on a mFT, interesting how you remembered to double the effective focal length and forgot about the aperture . If the comparisons worked the way you are posting here then the likes of the XZ-1 with its 28-112mm F1.8-2.5 would be a truly amazing option and it weighs in at fewer than 300g making your micro gear look positively ponderous.

Cross comparing systems using only one criterion typically skewed to support the views of the poster serve no purpose. At least you received a reasonable response from the guys in the Canon forum, a response I would not expect to receive in this forum if anyone using another system pointed out one of the disadvantages of mFT . And just as an aside a recent article I read suggested that school kids “regularly carry bags that are up to 20 per cent of their body weight” which in adult male terms would in my case { 6ft 4 14st5lb} equates to just over 40lb {18.2kg}

My D800 + 14-24 mm f2.8,+ 24-70 mm f2.8 +70-200VR2 mm f2.8 +50mm f1.4,+85mm f1.4,+105 macro + 135mm DC f2 , + 300mm F2.8 comes in under 10kg . While I most definitely enjoy a lighter load the day , unless I am very old or very ill I cannot see the day when 10kg becomes an unwieldy burden. Not that I would typically carry all these lenses at the same time

Jim

And you could very easily reduce the weight substancially by different lens choices that still would offer more DOF control than the OP:s set. For instance switch the whole tele set to an 85 1.8 and a 70-300 4.5-5.6 and you would save 5 kg.
--
http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow