EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Arn
Arn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,582
Re: af speed

b534202 wrote:

elenon wrote:

Arn wrote:

englishman wrote:

Focus speed vs. nifty fifty?

The same vs 50/1.8, not worse at least, thus fast enough. AF accuracy is probably better with the 40/2.8.
--
pics: http://www.pbase.com/arn

I have heard very different opinions on this. Some have said that the autofocus is as fast and accurate as most L lenses, but you're saying the speed is not much better / the same as the 50mm 1.8, which has a notoriously slow speed and poor and unreliable autofocus..

Can anyone clear this up? I would like a fast autofocus - that's my main interest in the 40mm.

Not as fast as L. It is pretty accurate though.
I've never used the $100 50mm so can't say how it compares to that.

"L" designation does not make lenses fast. Small and light (AF group) lens elements usually result in a fast focusing lens. For example, the 85/1.2L with it's huge front element is certainly one of the slowest focusing lenses available (easily bested by the 85/1.8). The 40/2.8 is fast enough, pretty much comparable to the 50/1.8II (which is definitely not slow) as I said previously. I don't know how I can "clear it up", I own the pancake and a heap of other lenses including several "L's". Elenon can either take my word for it or be left wondering.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha a7 Samsung NX1 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Arn
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow