EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,850
Re: EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

why?

Are you comparing technology from an intellectual standpoint?

(which is of course valid - then you could compare the ability of opera singers to grow in their quality and rate this as the most important factor and skip the one that has already reached his/her personal maximum because no development is possible - from an intellectual standpoint this would be an interesting discussion - I am sure!)

I am simply comparing lenses in a similar focal length - and I am getting more and more excited - had a quick look at photo zone and the-digital-image and it looks like none of the existing lenses beats the 40 mm lens at f/4.0 - amazing!!

BTW - the TS- E 17 (being a retrofocus design) beats every Nikon wide angle lens too - even when you stitch the 14-24 to the D800E (just for the record)

I was willing to switch to the D800E and gave it a try - looks like the lenses from Canon are simply in it's own league - talking about the latest designs and some of the older ones. I am a big fan of excellent lenses!! I could not care less about the brand - and since Nikon lenses would work on Canon as well I am always looking at them because it could be a nice option.

With the given quality for the outrageous low price it will be hard to beat the new 40 mm lens - CUDOS Canon - I am unhappy with your uninspired new FF DSLR but I am delighted with the bargain 40 mm lens - looks like the 40 mm will get a classic lens like the 135 f/2.0

photonius wrote:

joger wrote:

cedrec wrote:

I noticed the ISO 12233 crops, flare, vignetting, and distortion tests are up on the digital picture.

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-40mm-f-2.8-STM-Pancake-Lens-Review.aspx

oh wow - it amazes me more and more - even the brand new Nikkor 50 f/1.4 G on 24 MPixel looks like crap in direct competition - I am still not a big fan of the focal length - that's maybe the reason why I never bought a 50 mm lens to date but my investment in the 40 STM turns out to be a real fantastic deal

Well, the key is it's only a f2.8 lens. So, realistically, you should compare it to other f2.8 lenses that are not retrodesigns, like the 100mm f2.8 macro.

The f1.4 etc. type lenses have much bigger diameter glass, much more aberrations need to be corrected, much harder.

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Arn
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow