EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,822
Re: EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

joger wrote:

cedrec wrote:

I noticed the ISO 12233 crops, flare, vignetting, and distortion tests are up on the digital picture.

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-40mm-f-2.8-STM-Pancake-Lens-Review.aspx

oh wow - it amazes me more and more - even the brand new Nikkor 50 f/1.4 G on 24 MPixel looks like crap in direct competition - I am still not a big fan of the focal length - that's maybe the reason why I never bought a 50 mm lens to date but my investment in the 40 STM turns out to be a real fantastic deal

Well, the key is it's only a f2.8 lens. So, realistically, you should compare it to other f2.8 lenses that are not retrodesigns, like the 100mm f2.8 macro.

The f1.4 etc. type lenses have much bigger diameter glass, much more aberrations need to be corrected, much harder.

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Arn
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow