Continuation of CSC (Compact System Camera) in retreat

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,682
Really?

TrapperJohn wrote:

The simple fact is, in the five short years that CSC's have been on the market, they have all but obliterated the entry level dslr, and are now forging into serious amateur territory. You may be seeing a brief burst of dslr sales due to flood delays, but the trend in the last two or three years is unmistakable, and inexorable.

The most sold ICL camera in Europe last year was the Nikon DSLR D3100. I would not call that "all but obiliterated".
And no, EVFs have not reached the level of a good OVF.

NEX7 was the first high quality CSC, held back by a paucity of good native glass. OMD does not have a shortage of high grade lenses, and it's still backordered, over two months after it came out.

Sensor technology has seriously diminshed the larger sensor bonus, by pushing most of the advantages into the very seldom used category, while the large glass size remains constant.

The latest EVF's are a suitable replacment for the OVF, sharp enough for MF and good composition, fast enough refresh for no smearing or jitter when panning, quick enough for no blackout during shooting, and features the OVF can't implement: live histo, live shadow/higlight, focus peaking, and 'instant chimp'. After decades of using an OVF, I'm not looking back. This isn't as good as an OVF. It's better.

CDAF is lightning fast in its latest version, plus PDAF on sensor that is now available, is adding fast C-AF.

More and more, even serious amateurs are asking - why lug all that gear around if I don't have to?

Just as over a decade ago, the film stalwarts began to ask - why put up with film processing, film costs, and waiting to review shots, when I don't have to?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow