EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,285
Re: EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

joger wrote:

FF is a compromise - not where I would like to be but with the 35 k USD I've invested to date the best compromise for all sujets I personally shoot - just have a look in my dpreview gallary

Having reviewed your gallery images I can say two things. 1) I did not see any images that could not be met or exceeded using a 7D. Many of your close-ups could be vastly improved with more depth of field (the reptile in the 300mm f/2.8 gallery is a prime example). 2) Don't waste your money on expensive medium format gear. Your images will improve more if you concentrate less on gear and more on technique and concept.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is sincere advice and gushing about how much better FF is compared to APS-C (or how FF is not very good compared to medium format) is what instigated these comments.

Certainly FF and even medium format has a place in modern photography, I'm just not convinced either format offers compelling advantages in terms of satisfying the needs of most photographers. Photography is about creating images. Larger formats are only needed if your specialty is making extra large high resolution images. Most of us (yourself included) are not fully using the capabilities offered by modern APS-C cameras. Furthermore, the impact of an image has much more to do with composition, color and light/dark than it does with whether it was made with APS-C or a $50,000 medium format setup.

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Arn
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow