saturating a Gigabit Ethernet network

Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
saturating a Gigabit Ethernet network

This may be a very simple topic. I don't even really have any question, but I was thinking about this, and I did a little research, and I want to mention the topic, and maybe somebody will have something more to say about the topic. Something I missed, or didn't understand.

Maybe it will turn out to be an interesting topic.

Recently I put a SSD in my second PC, and now both my PCs have SSDs. I was thinking about doing some tests, transferring data between them. See how fast it goes.

But looking via Google, I quickly learned the obvious. That is to say, a Gigabit Ethernet network can transfer a billion bits a second. There are 8 bits in a byte, plus there would be some TCP/IP data too (headers and CRC bits, etc), so one would want to divide a billion by 8.5 or so, and not 8.

But even a billion divided by 8.5, that's a 117 million. So the top speed for a Gigabit Ethernet network is around 117 megs a second.

Here they are saying 125 - 128 megs a second:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080312105903AAsfM2C

That's different than what I was thinking, but it's still close.

A conventional HDD that can do 80 megs a second, two of them wouldn't saturate a network, but even a slow SSD that can do 250 megs a second, two of them certainly could.

In any case, were I to take the time to run a test, between my two PCs with SSDs, I'd no doubt find the network would limit things to less than 128 megs a second.

There's not much more to say, beyond that, right ?

Thanks for any additional info or comments.

(edit: looking more carefully at that answers.yahoo page, I see that they are saying even 23 megs a second isn't bad ! )

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow