The central AF sensor is almost always the most accurate

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,147
Did not know that ... f5.6 fixes most evils.

Playing with my infernal 24-70 (love-hate relationship ...), left AF's do not pass my latest test ... f2.8, 24mm. However, the next stop shows an improvement ... 4.5 looks like the center at f2.8. Right AF's at f2.8 slightly off, less so than the left; a 1 f stop change fixes that.

So if the factory parameters are f5.6, both this camera and lens would pass.

Now that I have a clearer picture of where the problem lies, I know to avoid the left AF's at f2.8. This creates some challenges, but with this knowledge it can be worked around.

No problems on the 50, 85, and 70-200.

I'm going to wait until Nikon either announces a fix, or the track record on repairs becomes more stable (i.e. people satisfied consistently with what they are getting back).

24-70, working around the left AF. Both are 5x7 crops, the second cropped in close. This is a real advantage to having those MP's.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow